Sunday, June 17, 2012

Zumba takes to the Irish pub

I was browsing Zumba.com, looking for my next class to visit, when I spotted an evening Zumba class in an Irish Pub in Penn Yan. It seemed like an equally bizarre venue, since I'm teaching my morning class in a winery. I was definitely imagining the Happy Hour party with a Zumba event in the middle and people swilling Guinness' on the side.

Fortunately, I was wrong.

It's a great space for a class. Good wood floors, spacious dance floor, a slightly raised platform in the front, even disco lights so the fluorescent lights don't have to stay on.

Kayla Luppino is teaching there M-W-F and Saturdays from 7 - 7:30, as she launches her Zumba career. She's fabulous dancer, energetic, brings the party to the pub. She is obviously a dancer by heart, her enthusiasm is contagious. And the walk in price is just $3. Easy!

A great surprise was a bonus toning class afterward by Danelle Bell, a recent arrival from Memphis, Missouri. She just left her eight classes in Missouri and is finding her niche here. I'd travel far to take another toning class from her. I've been somewhat hesitant about getting my toning certification, thinking it would be too hard or too demanding a class for me to teach. Now I'm hooked, definitely. She was easy to follow, used great music, and I really need to add it to my own workout. So that's the next training for me when Zumba offers its next toning certification in my area.

The class in Penn Yan was another reminder about why it's so much fun trying other instructor's classes. You never know what you'll find --- it's still all Zumba, just with our own style. I'll hear a song I like, or see a routine with a new move, or, this time, try a little toning. It keeps adding to my repertoire and enhances what I do in my own classes.

I love the Zumba network. Instant community wherever I go, always a party, lots of new friends. Hope to see you on the road somewhere soon!

Here's a video of Kayla, followed by Danelle.




No comments:

Post a Comment