Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Back to Sacramento: a Zumba epicenter

We just got back to Sacramento last night from our trip to the Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific, and after an ungodly amount of sitting in jumbo jets, I decided to work off my jet lag and vacation hangover with some of the top Zumba teachers in the area.

I started out this morning with Linda Taylor who was teaching a Zumba Gold class at Step 1 studio on 19th and T Streets. Awesome teacher, great routines and enthusiasm, really paid attention to everyone in the class. She's very active in Zumba and was voted to be a representative for instructors for California and Hawaii. She invited me to join her and her daughter, Latoya Bufford, in class tonight but I'll probably wait until next Monday, when my jet lag is barely a memory. But there was nothing better for me this morning then to sweat that jetlag out, dance with friends, then drink a bunch of water. And then take a nap before finding another class tonight.

A wonderful problem is trying to figure out how to make it to all (or at least some) of the great instructors in the area. My choices tonight include some of the my favorites: Pepper Von at 5:30 at Step 1, Pakko (Abraham Contreras) at the Yemaya Studio near REI at the same time, or Linda and Toya at 7 on Florin Road. All excellent instructors, all tough decisions. And this is just the tip of the iceberg --- just some of my favorite ones that are close to Midtown.

Attending other Zumba classes is a great catalyst for new routines, new approaches to choreography and just a plain old refresher for my classes in New York and Mexico. I always get something from a class.
Always. Sometimes I'm reminded how not to do something. But that's okay too. I find it's helpful to be a student and remember what it's like to try to follow a new routine.

So, maybe see y'all in a class somewhere soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment